Lesson Nineteen: Jacob, From sup-planter to Prince of God
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for living from the experiences of Jacob.
Lesson Text: Genesis 25:29-34 NKJV
Now Jacob cooked a stew; and Esau came in from the field, and he was weary. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, “Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am weary.” Therefore his name was called Edom. 31 But Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright as of this day.” 32 And Esau said, “Look, I am about to die; so what is this birthright to me?” 33 Then Jacob said, “Swear to me as of this day.” So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 And Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils; then he ate and drank, arose, and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.
Memory Verse: Genesis 32:28 NKJV
And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men and have prevailed.”
- Genesis 27-35
- Hebrews 11:21
- Who is Jacob? What does his name mean? Genesis 25:19-28
- What events in Jacob’s life suggest the appropriateness of his name?
- What two places are significant in the life of Jacob? What happened at each? Genesis 28:10-22; 32:24-32; 35:1-5
- Whom did Jacob marry?
- Name the children born to him. Genesis 29:15-30:24; 35:16-20
- What did God do for Jacob in Padan-Aram? Genesis 30:27-16
- What did Jacob learn about God in Padan-Aram? Genesis 31:36-42
- Describe the reunion of Jacob and Esau. Genesis 32-33
- What mistake did Jacob repeat respecting his sons that his parents had made?
- When Jacob came down into Egypt many years later, how did he distinguish himself above his father in blessing Jacob’s two sons? Genesis 48:15-22
- Compare & contrast Jacob’s early character before Padan-Aram with that which manifested after the events of Penuel.
- What is the significance of the dream which Joseph had at Bethel? John 1:43-51
- What do we learn about marital love from Jacob’s experience?
- How does Jacob measure up as a father? What important lessons do we learn from him?
- What is the one great lesson from the life of Jacob for you?